It's true: there is no shortagereading books out there. but ask someoneVisit to the library in the primary school., and they will probably tell you that finding time to read can be difficult. Between personal, family and work commitments, plus reading difficulties and even the price of a paperback, there can be countless challenges between you and your next favorite book.
So in 2023, Jenna Bush Hager invites you to overcome these obstacles and make reading a habit.Scoring with Jenna. If you want to participate in the challenge, the goal is simple: read every day, no matter how much or little.
"I'm so excited to be racing with you this year!" Jenna says. “And get your thoughts out of the gutter – noeslike stretch marks! For those who want to read more, I hope Read With Jenna is your place of inspiration and encouragement. And now it's time to read and scratch with us."
Your New Year's resolution for 2023? read more
For Jenna, the daughter of a librarian, reading was a lifelong joy that forced her to lose herself in books as she did in reading.„Hidden History“ at Spring Break am College, or the many nights spent reading a book after bed as a mother of three. That's why she says she always makes time for books, even when things get "too complicated" as a mom and host of the TODAY show.
Jenna hopes that as you continue your spree, whether for the first time or again, you too will fall in love with reading.
"There is nothing better than falling in love with a book."
Jenna Busch Hager
“I like to read for many reasons. It is truly my escape from everyday life. So I calm down. So I let myself go. So I fall in love with other places I will never go. This is how I sympathize with characters who are not like me. There's nothing like falling in love with a book," she says.
Find out more about Streaking With Jenna below, from how you can get involved to why you should. Happy stretch marks!
How do I join Streaking With Jenna?
The rules of Streaking With Jenna are simple. Read every day - that's all. You can read in the driveway for a minute; five minutes before bedtime; or half a book while everyone else went to sleep. All your pages count.
Why should I participate? What is the benefit?
Connecticut psychologist Dr. Holly Schiff says there areseveral proven benefits of regular reading, Included:
- Reading keeps you young:“Reading is a mentally stimulating activity that increases the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients to the brain. It can also help slow cognitive decline and decline and is linked to better cognitive function," says Schiff. AStudies 2021from Rush University Medical Center in Chicago found that a cognitively active lifestyle can delay the onset of dementia.
- It's a healthy escape:"Even if only temporarily, reading takes you out of your world and out of your mind and into another world," Schiff says of reading, which leads to less stress. actually oneStudy 2009concluded that 30 minutes of reading had the same effect as 30 minutes of yoga in reducing acute stress.
- Increase empathy:"Reading gives us the opportunity to understand other people's perspectives in a safe and objective way, and actually enhances the reader's ability to understand what others are thinking and feeling," says Schiff. AStudy 2013he found that reading helped people understand the mental states of others.
- Increase the connection:According to Schiff, books can help you connect with other people in similar situations, or just make you feel less alone. Researchers at the University at Buffalo have shown thatin a 2011 studyHave students read "Twilight" or Harry Potter that the effects of reading can actually mimic social interaction.
Tracking a sequence, or an ongoing chain, of daily repetitions of a task is a powerful habit-forming tool, says Dr. Schiff: "Building a streak is intrinsically motivating." lifts spirits, sharpens skills, and builds self-confidence: "You can see that you've committed to something and accomplished it, no matter how trivial it is."
How do I continue my streak?
Measure your progress with the calendar below, which allows you to track your streaks in 30-day increments.
We also offer an Instagram version so you can share your progress with your friends and followers. Be sure to use the hashtag #StreakingWithJenna.
Schiff says that incorporating a visual element, like a calendar, into your sequence is key to building motivation, enthusiasm, and confidence. “It helps you visually see the progress you're making each day, and as your following starts to grow, your motivation increases due to the momentum gained. It will increase commitment and dedication,” she says.
Print Scratch Tracker
Instagram streak tracker
and how do i continuewasI read?
What books are you diving into this year? Share the books you have read in your reading series, no matter if they arecozy secretsor thevibrant news of 2023. We will update these charts monthly.
printable book tracker
What if I already read every day?
If you already read every day (see you, lifelong bookworms!), we invite you to define your own trend. Here are some recommendations from the Read With Jenna team.
- Read before bed or get up a few minutes earlier in the morning to read.
- Spend more time reading than usual each day.
- Try to finish a chapter or at least 20 pages per day.
- Keep track of all the books you read or even write reviews of each one.
Let us know what a sequel means to you by messaging Read With Jenna's Instagram for a chance to share your definition with other readers.
Do I get anything if I keep my streak going?
YEAH! We will invite participants to participate in activities throughout the year. And the best? Readers who keep the sequence can compete for gifts and attend events with Jenna.
What happens if I pause my sequence?
lose a day? Don't let that stop you from participating.
"Life is hectic and sometimes things inevitably come up, so it's important to be kind to yourself when you miss a day. Knowing that you can always start over helps us not deny all the good habits we've been carrying out just because we missed a day or two. Start over and remind yourself why you want to develop this habit in the first place," says mindfulness coach Greenslade.
Ok, I'm in! Now can I get some tips on how to read more?
Greenslade shares a general rule of thumb for habit formation to keep in mind when starting Jenna "first": "To form a new habit, you should practice the specific action for at least 30 days. At that point it will become more automatic." he told TODAY.com.
But to keep track, you may need to overcome some of the obstacles that currently prevent you from reading. Maybe you don't know what to read next, or maybe your current schedule makes regular reading a challenge.
So here at TODAY.com, we're going to be regulars.Give advice on how to read more- but to get you started, here are some tips:
- Read what you like:If she enjoys the book she's reading, she'll keep reading, which is why Jenna says it's okay to "stop reading" a book after a certain point. "Read something that interests you," Schiff told TODAY.com. "If you're reading about a topic you like or find the plot interesting, you'll find it easier to keep your attention because the topic is exciting, thought-provoking, and interesting to you."
- Leave your phone in another room:Jenna says that her phone is a distraction while she reads, so she avoids temptation by leaving it in another room. She most of the time she reads in her office with no technology from her. "I bring books, put my phone away, and read," Jenna says.
- Bring your books:Jenna's reading trick? Don't leave home without a book. "I always have a book in my bag," says Jenna.
- Join a book club:"There's a sense of community and camaraderie as you read, and you can have fruitful conversations and discuss how everyone can interpret the same literature differently," says Schiff.
- Use your ears:Read With Jenna author Jamie Ford loves audiobooks and says they make everyday life more fun. "I find that when I'm really interested in an audiobook, I make up reasons for doing things. I'm going to clear out the garage today so we can listen to this audiobook for another three hours until it's finished," he told TODAY.com.
- Find an "anchor":Greenslade recommends identifying the things you already do every day, from that first cup of coffee in the morning to the time you go to bed at night. “Add your new reading intention to this existing habit. He will remind you. It's easy to forget the things we want to do in our busy lives. For example, when you go to bed at night, read for five minutes before turning off the light," he says.
Check out this article on reading tips for more information. And now, get ready, go: Happy stretch marks!
Not sure what to read next? Look at these recommendations
- 5 of Jenna Bush Hager's Favorite Crime Novels, Besides 'The Cloisters'
- Cuddle Up With These Winter Book Recipes By Jasmine Guillory And Isaac Fitzgerald
- Treat yourself to the books that Emma Straub recommends as gifts
Since March 2019, TODAY host Jenna Bush Hager has chosen a new book every month to share with the Read With Jenna book club. Jenna works hard to choose stories that will delight, entertain and challenge readers. She understands the power of a good book to unite communities and ignite conversation.What is Jenna Bush Hager's latest Book Club pick? ›
Current Read with Jenna Book Pick
Maame by Jessica George is the February 2023 book club pick by Jenna Bush Hager on The Today Show.
Apparently, Jenna Bush Hager agrees, saying “I could not imagine a better book for this book club.” Jenna has announced Transcendent Kingdom as her September book club pick for the Today Show.How does Jenna pick her books? ›
Jenna Bush Hager We read a ton of books every month and our mission is to highlight debut and diverse authors. The most important aspect of choosing a book is that it is well-written and compelling. We choose books we know will spark important conversations.What books will be movies in 2023? ›
- January: A Man Called Otto, Mayfair Witches, Lockwood & Co.
- February: Knock At The Cabin.
- March: Daisy Jones & The Six, The Power, Wellmania, Wool.
- April: The Last Thing He Told Me, Salem's Lot.
- May: Love Again.
- June: No releases confirmed (yet)
- July: No releases confirmed (yet)
Since her early correspondent days, a lot has changed, including her salary. Now as a full-time cohost on NBC, Jenna has a much bigger presence on the morning talk show and her paycheck is seeing the difference. She has an estimated yearly salary of $4 million doing a job she loves.Who is Jenna Bush Hager's best friend? ›
Jenna Bush Hager and Hoda Kotb are not only co-stars on Today with Hoda & Jenna, but they're also the best of friends.What is Jenna's book club for June? ›
Jenna Bush Hager's June 2022 book club pick is a novel about female friendship. "My June pick, “These Impossible Things” by Salma El-Wardany, is the perfect story to lose yourself in while you soak up the sun," said Jenna Bush Hager. There are few things in the world that go better together than summer and a good book.What is Reese Witherspoon's latest book club pick? ›
Reese's Latest Book Club Pick (February 2023)
The House of Eve by Sadeqa Johnson is Reese Witherspoon's February 2023 book club pick. What is this?
The book is “The Whalebone Theater” by Joanna Quinn, and indeed it is epic in scope: The novel follows decades in the life of Christabel, an orphan born to an aristocratic family in the early 20th century through her time in espionage in World War II.
For July, the book club is diving into "The Measure" by Nikki Erlick.What is Jenna's book pick for August 2022? ›
August's pick is “The Many Daughters of Afong Moy” by Jamie Ford. Jenna calls it “one of the most beautiful books of motherhood and what we pass on to those that come after us and what we inherit,” and “a book about strength and goodness.”Why did Jenna's mom write the letter? ›
#Awkward creator Lauren Lungerich explained that Lacey wrote the letter before Jenna's accident because she was facing the fact that she had regrets about having Jenna as a teenager.How old is Jenna Bush? › What is Jenna's Book Club pick for Jan 2022? ›
Jenna Bush Hager is sharing her first Read With Jenna pick of 2022! The book is “The School for Good Mothers” by Jessamine Chan.What to read in 2023? ›
- 'Sam' by Allegra Goodman (Jan. ...
- 'Age of Vice' by Deepti Kapoor (Jan. ...
- 'The Survivalists' by Kashana Cauley (Jan. ...
- 'Spare' by Prince Harry (Jan. ...
- 'Hell Bent' by Leigh Bardugo (Jan. ...
- The Faraway World' by Patricia Engel (Jan. ...
- 'Central Places' by Delia Cai (Jan.
- 'Maus' by Art Spiegelman. ...
- 'Americanah' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. ...
- 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. ...
- 'Persepolis' by Marjane Satrapi. ...
- 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. ...
- 'The Name of the Rose' by Umberto Eco. ...
- 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith.
Al Roker's annual salary with TODAY is a whopping $10 million a year. His most recent contract with NBC was a five-year, $50 million contract. Roker does have additional income each year depending on the other projects he undertakes, like Broadway shows and writing books.What is Hoda Kotb's annual salary? ›
How much money does Hoda Kotb make in a year? Hoda Kotb's salary at Today is reportedly between $8 million and $10 million dollars, but this isn't the TV personality's only source of income – she also makes money from her writing.What is Savannah Guthrie's salary? ›
What Is Savannah Guthrie's Net Worth? The beloved newscaster has an estimated net worth of $30 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. Savannah is thought to be earning a salary of around $8 million from her work on Today and beyond.
Savannah and Jenna are incredibly close and have even been on vacation with each other and their families in the past. Jenna recently opened up about their friendship while chatting to HELLO!, revealing that the TV star often looks after her kids - who attend the same school.Who is Jenna's twin sister? ›
|Today with Hoda & Jenna|
Jenna Bush Hager stops by the TODAY plaza to announce that the August selection for her Read with Jenna book club is “The Many Daughters of Afong Moy” by Jamie Ford.What is the book of the month June 2022 prediction? ›
The Lies I Tell by Julie Clark.What is Jenna's book club for April? ›
The April 2022 Read With Jenna book club pick is "Memphis" by Tara M. Stringfellow.What are book clubs reading 2022? ›
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (Hardcover) Taylor Jenkins Reid (Goodreads Author) ...
- The Midnight Library (Hardcover) ...
- Verity (Paperback) ...
- The Lincoln Highway (Hardcover) ...
- The Last Thing He Told Me (Hardcover) ...
- The Maid (Hardcover) ...
- West with Giraffes (Kindle Edition) ...
- Lessons in Chemistry (Hardcover)
Reese Witherspoon has made millions off of her book club called Reese's Book Club. Each month Reese chooses a book to highlight for her members. Clients can buy boxes from the company that contains books based on the box's title; The Self-Care Box, The Romance Box, The Thriller Box, etc.Where is Jenna's dress from? ›
If you were wondering where you can get your own version of Jenna's dress, the NBC show revealed she chose a piece from Zara.What is Jenna's book club for March 2022? ›
For March 2022, the TODAY book expert selected "Groundskeeping" by Lee Cole.
For February 2022, Jenna Bush Hager picked "Black Cake" by Charmaine Wilkerson.What is Jenna's Book Club pick May 2022? ›
After reading the multigenerational family saga “Memphis” by Tara M. Stringfellow in April, Jenna Bush Hager has picked a touching story about an unlikely friendship that is sure to put a smile your face while you read along in May. This month's Read With Jenna pick is “Remarkably Bright Creatures” by Shelby Van Pelt.What is the most popular book right now 2022? ›
- It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover.
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
- Verity by Colleen Hoover.
- The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood.
- Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover.
- Book Lovers by Emily Henry.
- Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover.
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
- Colleen Hoover, It Ends with Us (Atria) – 2,729,007 copies sold.
- Colleen Hoover, Verity (Grand Central) – 2,000,418 copies sold.
- Colleen Hoover, It Starts with Us (Atria) – 1,885,351 copies sold.
- Delia Owens, Where the Crawdads Sing (Putnam) – 1,868,518 copies sold.
It is shown that Clark was the anonymous commenter on Jenna's blog. Clark hasn't appeared since the Season 3 episode, And Then What Happened, marking a 29 episode gap since his last appearance on the show.Does Jenna get pregnant? ›
Ballroom baby on board! Dancing With the Stars' Jenna Johnson has given fans glimpses of her growing bump since announcing her first pregnancy. The Utah native revealed via Instagram in July 2022 that she and husband Val Chmerkovskiy are expecting.What episode does Jenna find out who wrote the letter? ›
In the end of the episode "Resolutions," Jenna confronts her mother about the letter. In "Sex, Lies and the Sanctuary ," Jenna's mother reveals that she wrote the letter to Jenna's father.What is the net worth of Jenna? ›
|Jenna Ortega net worth||4 million dollars|
|achievements||best young actress|
Jenna Bush Hagar's husband, Henry, is a businessman who is currently a director at Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, a private equity company.Who is Jenna Bush's husband? ›
Javier Zamora's SOLITO is September Read With Jenna Book Club Pick | Penguin Random House.What is Jenna's December book pick? ›
If you're among the many readers who have already read “The Secret History,” Jenna invites you to join her in re-visiting it, and remembering “what made us fall in love with it for the first time.”What is August 2022 Read With Jenna? ›
August's pick is “The Many Daughters of Afong Moy” by Jamie Ford. Jenna calls it “one of the most beautiful books of motherhood and what we pass on to those that come after us and what we inherit,” and “a book about strength and goodness.”What is March Read With Jenna 2022? ›
For March 2022, the TODAY book expert selected "Groundskeeping" by Lee Cole.What books did Harlan Coben recommend on the Today show? ›
- "Everybody Knows" $26.04. $28.00. Bookshop. ...
- "Anywhere You Run" $26.96. $28.99. Bookshop. ...
- "Fleishman Is in Trouble" $15.84. $17.00. Bookshop. ...
- "The Man I Never Met" $15.81. $17.00. Bookshop. ...
- "Central Places" $26.04. $28.00. Bookshop. ...
- "Name, Claim & Reframe" $18.55. $19.95.
Jenna Bush Hager's June 2022 book club pick is a novel about female friendship. "My June pick, “These Impossible Things” by Salma El-Wardany, is the perfect story to lose yourself in while you soak up the sun," said Jenna Bush Hager.What grade level is the Adoration of Jenna Fox? ›
|Interest Level||Reading Level||ATOS|
|Grades 9 - 12||Grades 2 - 8||3.8|
The April 2022 Read With Jenna book club pick is "Memphis" by Tara M. Stringfellow.Where did Jenna Hager go on vacation? ›
Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager Struggle To Make It Down Snowy Slopes During Canada Vacation. The hosts are taking their followers along on their trip to the winter wonderland. Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager are taking fans along on their adventure to Canada!What is Jenna's necklace? ›
"It's a compass, and he just said, 'Always keep your North Star straight. '" Still, Jenna admitted she doesn't know where he bought it.
The Harry Potter series is far and away the highest-selling series of novels ever. Written by British author J.K. Rowling, the series has sold at least 500 million copies, 150 million more than the next-highest selling series.Who is the author of recently released book titled Your best day is today? ›
The correct answer is Anupam Kher. Book titled 'Your Best Day Is Today! ' written by Anupam Kher is based on his experiences during the countrywide lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic. He added his experiences, ups and downs, feelings of the time during which his mother and brother contracted the virus.What is Stephen's bestseller? ›
What is Stephen King's Best Selling Novel? According to The Manual, The Shining is the best-selling Stephen King book.