Music can play an important role in a memorial service as well as in a memorial video or memorial slideshow. The right music can evoke feelings and emotions, help the audience remember their loved one and even help them overcome the pain. Ultimately, music can create a powerful connection.
If you select music for a memorial or funeral slideshow, you must have legal permission to use it. Royalty-free and royalty-free music can be used free of charge or for a fee, depending on the music and its origin.
There are countless options when it comes to music that you can legally use in a tribute video that can be published or distributed.
The most popular funeral songs
Funeral hymns are often personal, chosen based on family preference or as part of a person's last wishes. Usually three to five songs can be played during a funeral.
Here are five of the most popular dirges:
- "My Way" by Frank Sinatra
- "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler
- "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
- "Ave Maria" by Franz Schubert
- Time to Say Goodbye von Andrea Bocelli und Sarah Brightman
Make sure you are using legally downloaded music that is free from royalty or copyright
The most popular music is copyrighted, which means you must have permission to use it in a public space like a funeral, or share it on social media. If you are creating a memorial video for personal use and do not intend to share it is not as mandatory, but if you intend to publish or share the video you will need legal permission for the music included in the video.
Acquiring copyright licenses can take some work and can be expensive. However, there are other ways to legally download music.
Royalty-free music is music hosted by a service or provider that is already licensed. You can download this song for free if you credit the artist for the song or for a fee.
Pricing is typically subscription-based, allowing unlimited access for a monthly or yearly fee. You can often buy a specific title as well.
Additional options include copyright-free music, which generally refers to public domain music released before 1927 because the copyright license had expired. Many popular dirges are old enough to allow for this.
Where can you get cool music for a funeral slideshow?
Here are some options to find cool music to download and use in a funeral slideshow:
How to choose music for a funeral slideshow
When choosing music for a funeral slideshow, consider the message you want to convey. Is this more of a sad tribute or are you looking for a happier celebration of life?
The music sets the tone and helps the audience connect emotionally. They can also evoke certain feelings. It may be appropriate to use music that is particularly meaningful to the person you are honoring.
The music should fit the scene and fade into the background. Music should complement your project, not distract it. If you have a voiceover, choose instrumental music so it doesn't overwhelm the written or spoken word. The music should flow and help set the atmosphere.
Instrumental music is particularly suitable for a funeral or memorial service. Here are some of the best options:
- Canon in D by Pachelbel
- "Air on a G String" by Bach
- Barber's "Adagio for Strings"
- "Come, Sweet Death" by Bach
- "Islands in the Sky" by Geoff Harvey
- Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
- „Blue Not Green“ von Miles Davis
- „Edge of Darkness“ von Eric Clapton
- „Your Hand in Mine“ von Explosions in the Sky
- Last Train Home by Pat Metheny
Songs that remind you of a father and grandfather
Some songs work especially well when the deceased is a parent or grandparent. Here are some good options:
- „Song for Daddy“ von Keith Urban
- "Fathers and Daughters (Never Goodbye)" by Michael Bolton
- „I Old You“ von Billie Holiday
- „Sentimentaler Tag“ von Doris Day
- "Live Like You'll Die" by Tim McGraw
- "Supermarket Flowers" by Ed Sheeran
- 10,000 Miles by Mary Chaplin Carpenter
- Someone's Hero by Jamie O'Neal
- "You Can't Lose Me" by Faith Hill
- "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross
Songs in memory of a young person or child
No death is easy, but funeral services for children or young people are particularly moving. Here are some music options for this type of service:
- "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton
- "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlan
- "Volar" by Celine Dion
- „If I Die Young“ von The Band Perry
- "Lullaby (Goodnight, My Angel)" by Billy Joel
- You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins
- "Handsome Boy" by John Lennon
- "Roads of Paradise" by Sherrie Austin
- "A Mother's Prayer" by K. Michelle
- "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart
Songs in memory of a friend
These songs are good for services that commemorate a departed friend:
- "We'll Meet Again" by Wiz Khalifa
- "I'll Miss You" by Diddy, Faith Evans & 112
- "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor
- "Life Without You" by Stevie Ray Vaughn
- You Should Be Here by Cole Swindell
- "Gone Too Soon" von Michael Jackson
- "I Will Remember You" by Thea Gilmore
- "I'll Never Forget You" by Miranda Lambert
- "Who Would You Be Today" by Kenny Chesney
- "A Long December" by Counting Crows
These love songs are beautiful options for a memorial service or funeral:
- „My Heart Will Go On“ von Céline Dion
- „Lay Me Down“ von Sam Smith
- "How Long Will I Love You" by Ellie Goulding
- „One Sweet Day“ von Mariah Carey und Boyz II Men
- "I'll Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
- „Together Again“ von Janet Jackson
- "If I Only Knew" by Reba McEntire
- "You're First, Last, My Everything" by Barry White
- Anjos by Robbie Williams
- „Take My Breath Away“ von Berlim
Classic dirges have stood the test of time, and with good reason. Here are some traditional favorites:
- "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel
- Chopin's "Funeral March"
- "How Tall You Are" by Carrie Underwood
- "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" by Elvis Presly
- „Swing Low Sweet Chariot“ von B. B. King
- „When the Roll is Called There“ von Dolly Parton
- "I'll Fly Away" von Johnny Cash
- "Water Is Far" by Peter Hollins
- "Victory in Jesus" by Merle Haggard
- "In the Garden" by Selah
Regardless of whether the deceased was religious or not, spiritual songs are often a good choice for funerals or memorial videos:
- „Amazing Grace“ von John Newton
- "Hallelujah" von Jeff Buckley
- "I can only imagine" by MercyMe
- „You Lift Me Up“ von Josh Groban
- "God Is Love" by Marvin Gaye
- "The Day Has Come and Gone" by Aretha Franklin
- "His Eye is on the Sparrow" by Gladys Knight
- The cutest name I know of Kirk Franklin
- „Walk in the Sky“ von Patti LaBelle
- "The Lord Is My Shepherd" by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Memorial videos celebrate life, and happy music can capture the joy of the person being remembered. Here are some optimistic options:
- 'Soul Limbo' by Booker T. & the MG's
- "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
- Bring Me Sunshine by Morecambe and Wise
- David Bowie's "Heroes"
- "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin
- You Are The Sunshine Of My Life by Stevie Wonder
- Bring Me Sunshine by Morecambe and Wise
- "Always look on the bright side of life" from Life of Brian by Monty Python
- "I Live Till I Die" by Frank Sinatra
- „Happy Days Are Here Again“ von Ben Selvin und Crooners
Songs for a memorial video by genre
Sometimes the memorialized person loved a specific genre of music, and that's the genre you want to use in your memorial video. Fortunately, there are good memorial songs in almost every genre.
- 'Freebird' von Lynyrd Skynyrd
- "Knocking on Heaven's Door" von Bob Dylan
- „When September is over“ von Green Day
- "Only the Good Die Young" by Billy Joel
- "Fields of Gold" von Sting
- "Country Roads" by John Denver
- "Ain't No Sunshine" von Bill Withers
- "I Can't Let Go" by Anthony Hamilton
- "When I Arrive, Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley
- "Will You Be There" by Faith Hill
- 'Amanecer, Atardecer' de Fiddler on the roof
- "Time Heals All" by Mack and Mabel
- "Not a Day Goes By" by Merrily We Roll Along
- „This Was Almost Mine“ von South Pacific
- "Memories" of cats
- "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd
- Calling All Angels by Jane Siberry and K.D. Phrase
- 'Heaven Laughs' dos Hooters
- "Slipped" by Avril Lavigne
- "Pictures of You" by The Cure
burial. (2022). lagoa5, inc.
Discover new music to enhance your content🇧🇷 Epidemic sound.
Everything you need for creative projects. (2022). Envato Pty, Ltd.
Quality music for creators. (2022). Shutterstock Kanada, ULC.
Melodieschleifen.(2022). Loops de Melodia, LP.